Monday, May 24, 2010

CTR season started





Long weekend, rode 30 miles, spent time with horse people and my new rig. What could be better. This weekend kicked off the 2010 BC Competitive Trail Riding season with a ride at John and Karen Eigler's place in Courtenay - the Sasquatch Scurry. They have a beautiful place just north of town with access to unbelievable trails and a place that overlooks the island mountain range.

Competitive Trail Riding is a great sport for those who like "miles of smiles", good people, camping with their horses and learning about fitness and conditioning. I have been doing it now since 2004 with my best friend and two horses. Essentially, for those who aren't familiar with the sport, it is a long distance riding sport that challenges the horse and rider over a cross country course in a set time period (not a race). As one moves up in the levels, mileage and speed increase - but horses are all vetted three times - before, during and after exercise. For those that haven't tried it - I always sell it by saying "For $50-60 entry fee - I get a complete vet check on my horse three times, I ride new trails that are marked by someone else, camp overnight, have a potluck, get prizes and visit with great horse folks" THAT - is value for your entry fee! For more info on the sport check out http://www.bcctra.ca/ Next ride is one that I am organizing in Nanaimo - the Giddy Up Gogo Pleasure ride - education, riding and socializing with folks who love horses and trails.

I wasn't able to get any action shots as I was on the horse most of the time, but I did get a few around camp that are worth sharing. Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment