Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mulled wine and art







This past four days was the annual Cedar Yellowpoint Artisan Tour. My second year on the tour, this one proved to be even busier than last year - so thanks to my friends Brenda and Lesley for helping out at the til! Six paintings, two commissions and lots of other art items sold - so by all means, a real success.


The idea of artisans working together to build a cluster and cooperatively market their goods is something I strongly advocate for in my "other job". Rural operators and those in the arts often have extra barriers to overcome to make their entrepreneurial visions come to life. So, I feel quite fortunate for where I am in terms of the artisans near me.


I had a two guest artisans - Lesley Lorenz, a friend who does wonderful acrylics and portraits (and who will be offering two workshops this spring), and Davis Hammer, who does amazing photography. Also, I had friends like Micki McCartney, Joan McCartney, Mary Carr, Sylvia Hall-Andrews and my sister Michelle Smith all contribute items to the mix. Thanks gang, everything was a big hit. We raised about $350 for the Big Heart Rescue via sales of painted animal ornaments and ""surf girl" soaps.


I am trying to use the Broody Rooster to inspire all things creative - and take in the many talents of the friends close to me in providing opportunities for others to find something that works for them. We have launched a fantastic workshop schedule for the 2012 spring season including everything from painting to photography, quilting, portraits, canning, furniture repair and pastry making. If you are keen to sign up, the entire schedule is on http://www.broodyrooster.com/ and you can also pay online too.



No comments:

Post a Comment